I am an interaction designer & design researcher with a Scandinavian participatory mindset that use a human-centered, data-informed process to solve meaningful design problems at the intersection of people, technology, and business needs. I have 4+ years of experience working in design industry where I had the chance to shape my research and design skills on the web, desktop, mobile and TV solutions within user-centered and participatory design approaches.
I hold an MSc in IT Product Design with a focus on interaction design, participatory design and innovation, and design research. And prior to that, I successfully finished a Bachelor degree in Applied Informatics with the focus on information systems.
The design education shaped my approach from rational problem-solving to problem-finding within a situated-constructive view of designing. I am passionate about how the physical and digital worlds might be connected and go beyond screens. I enjoy working in multicultural studio-based environments with multidisciplinary teams. I like to work in the fuzzy front end of the design development process in order to seek for meaning. Based on that I am able to solve challenging design problems driving meaningful impact.
Participatory Design, Co-Design
E. Stolterman, J. Redström, N. Cross, D. Schön, J. Dewey, P. Ehn, T. Binder, L. Sanders, P. J. Stappers, K. Dorst, J. Buur, P.Dourish, IDEO, my brother
My design manifesto
Research & Design methods
Cultural probes, Generative toolkits
Contextual inquiry, Observation
Card sorting, IA
Personas, User Scenarios/Stories/Flows
Experience/User/Customer journey mapping
Experience Prototyping, Applied Theatre
UX Design, UI Design
User testing, Usability testing
Electronics & Physical Prototyping
Laser cutting, 3D printing
Cardboard modeling, workshop tools
Video & 3D
Adobe Premiere/After Effects
3Ds Max, V-Ray, Rhino 3D
Coding & Programming
Post-it, paper, pen
Axure RP, Sketch, InVision, Figma, Pixate
Balsamiq, Webflow, Keynote, Miro, Whimsical
Google Analytics, Matomo, SurveyMonkey, Typeform
Tools I plan to experiment with
Processing, Wekinator, Raspberry Pi
Senior Product Designer
Avast | Prague, Czech Republic | August 2020 – Present
Empowering users to easily manage and monitor Avast Business security solutions from one place
Senior UX Designer
Boehringer Ingelheim | Vienna, Austria | July 2019 – July 2020
As a lead product designer and user researcher, I drive discovery and development of the innovative data-rich web application that empowers researchers in a drug development process to select the right patients for clinical trials.
I help to understand and define user needs, goals and frustrations.
I design new valuable features and improve search experience by continuous discovery.
I involve the product development team, users and other stakeholders in the collaborative design process (Lean UX approach).
I contribute to product strategy and roadmap.
I share design knowledge with other internal designers to maintain a design-driven organization.
• Working closely with users, experts, product owner, scrum master, junior designer, data scientists and developers in 2-week Scrum sprints.
• Leading User research (interviews, ethnographic fieldwork, web analytics, etc.)
• Synthesis (KJ method, personas, user journey mapping, etc.)
• Design workshops with multiple stakeholders
• Sketching, wireframing, low & high-fi prototyping and user testing
• UI Design, Visual Design
• UX Strategy, Product Management
Direct People | Prague, Czech Republic | November 2017 – February 2019
Designing and launching new meaningful products and services for diverse clients from healthcare, finance, gastronomy, mobility, to news media industries.
Working on discovery and delivery projects in multidisciplinary teams with use of Design Thinking methodology.
• Plan, lead and synthesize user research (interviews, ethnographic fieldwork, surveys, web analytics, A/B testing, etc.)
• Synthesis (KJ method, customer journey mapping, etc.)
• co-facilitate design thinking workshops with diverse stakeholders
• Concept development (UX/UI Design)
• Prototyping and user testing
• Execution and design strategy
• Project Management, Online Marketing, Copywriting
Clients: Skoda Auto, Linet, Olympus, Economia, etc.
Master Thesis Student
Volvo Cars | Copenhagen, Denmark | January 2017 – June 2017
Design opportunities for passengers of fully autonomous vehicles.
RQ: What kind of opportunities fully AVs might provide for supporting social connectedness among young travelers on road trips?
• Exploratory, generative and evaluative research
• Design workshops with internal and external stakeholders
• Concept development
• Prototyping and testing
UX Design Intern
Concur | Prague, Czech Republic | August 2016 – December 2016 (part-time)
• Collaboration with designers on a mobile expense product
• Design and present an innovative concept related to travel and expense management for business travelers (from user research to prototyping and user testing)
• Research and implement a Desirability Testing method into product development in order to measure intangible aspects of user experience
• Graphic design for the Intern Hackathon (logo, posters, cups, t-shirts, stickers)
Interim UX Designer
Bisnode Czech Republic | Prague, Czech Republic | September 2015 – June 2016 (part-time)
External cooperation in product development of enterprise web application.
Bisnode Czech Republic | Prague, Czech Republic | August 2014 – August 2015
I implemented a user-centered design process into a product development of B2B SaaS modular application.
I helped to understand and define target users.
I improved user experience of developed modules of the app (redesign).
I designed a new module for market segmentation.
• Participation in the development of enterprise web application
• Conducting user research: in-depth interviews, focus group, surveys, card sorting, user testing
• Creating personas, user requirements, user scenarios, user stories and user flows
• Producing sketches, wireframes and interactive prototypes for testing and evaluating concepts
• Running usability testing of web application
• Working closely with users, product managers, visual designer and developers
• Collaboration on improving Customer Experience
MITON Previo s.r.o. | Prague, Czech Republic | March 2013 – July 2014 (part-time)
KBC Bank & Verzekering | Prague, Czech Republic | July 2012 – October 2013 (part-time)
MSc in IT Product Design
University of Southern Denmark | Kolding, Denmark | 2015 – 2017
Interaction Design, Embodied Technology, Participatory Innovation, Design Anthropology, Applied Theatre, Video and design, Service design and Co-Design.
Thesis in collaboration with Volvo Cars.
Bc in Applied Informatics
University of Economics | Prague, Czech Republic | 2011 – 2015
Information Systems, Software Engineering, Business
Thesis in collaboration with Hotel.cz – “Analysis of GUI Accommodation Booking Portals”.
Automation Technology and Computer Applications
Secondary Technical School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering | Usti nad Labem, Czech Republic | 2007 – 2011
Jakub Sypniewski, Jakub Rybar, Steven Beck Klingberg, Robb Mitchell. 2018. Towards Dynamic Perspective Exchange in Physical Games. In CHI’18.[PDF]
Jakub Sypniewski, Jakub Rybar, Steven Beck Klingberg. 2017. The Channel Surfers: Dynamic Swapped-perspective Collaborative Game for Dissolving Interpersonal Boundaries. In SIDeR’17. [PDF]
I presented the research paper at SIDeR 2017 in Delft, Netherlands. I facilitated the project’s playful performance at Playful Arts Festival 2016 in ‘sHertogenbosch, Netherlands, Pixelache Festival 2016 in Helsinki, Finland, and at LiveHerring Festival 2016 in Jyväskylä, Finland.
Lean UX and Agile
Being UX Leader
English – C1
Czech – native
German – A1
Slovak – bilingual
Countries I’ve Lived In
Czech Republic, United States, Denmark, Austria
Personal tutoring system
2004 – 2008
Portal about Nokia Symbian mobile phones (1000 users/day)
Apart from designing I enjoy traveling around the world and capturing experiences on my digital camera. Last time I have spent a month on road trip along the west coast of the United States. I like to practice Wing Chun, ride my longboard, draw, read books about design theory, meditate, take cold showers and listen to rock music.